공화당 센. Kelly Loeffler is also running in Georgia’s dual runoff elections Tuesday. Perdue’s term finished at the end of the 116th Congress, so he is not included in the new Congress’ 번호. Loeffler’s term will continue unless she is defeated Tuesday, so she is counted.
And in the House
, three Democratic members are expected to leave office to take on roles in the new Biden administration
: 대표. Cedric Richmond of Louisiana
(2nd Congressional District
) to be White House senior adviser and director of the Office of Public Engagement
; 대표. Deb Haaland of New Mexico
(1st Congressional District
) to be Secretary of the Interior
; 및 담당자. Marcia Fudge of Ohio
(11th Congressional District
) to be Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
Here is a breakdown by numbers of the new Congress as it begins, as well as some notable members who will be sworn into office.
The House of Representatives
117th Congress membership breakdown by party:
공화당 원: 211
Vacant: 2 (Louisiana’s 5th District and New York’s 22nd District)
Freshmen Class: There will be 60 freshmen in the 117th Congress. Seventeen of those seats flipped during the 2020 총선거, with Republicans picking up 14 seats and Democrats picking up 3. This resulted in a current net gain of 11 seats for Republicans. Eleven of the Republicans who picked up seats defeated Democrats who flipped seats in the wave year of 2018, while one GOP pickup came from the defeat of long-time Democratic Rep. Collin Peterson of Minnesota, one came in an open seat (Iowa’s 2nd) and one was in a Libertarian-held seat (Michigan’s 3rd District).
None of the new Democratic House members defeated sitting Republicans.
Total 2020 flipped House districts: 17
Total Women: 118
The 117th Congress will see a record number of women
집 안에서, and a record number of Republican women
. Ten of the Republicans who flipped Democratic seats were women
Total freshmen women: 27
Age of House members:
공화주의자 Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina
, born August
1, 1995, will be the youngest member of this Congress at age
25. He takes that title from Rep
. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York who
, ...에서 31, is now the chamber’s second youngest member
. Cawthorn is also the first member of Congress born in the 1990s
Making House history:
- 코리 부시 (Missouri’s 1st District), 민주당 원: First Black congresswoman from Missouri.
- Madison Cawthorn (North Carolina’s 11th District),공화주의자: First member of Congress born in the 1990s, youngest Republican elected to the House, second youngest House member in modern history.
- Ritchie Torres (New York’s 15th District), 민주당 원: First Black man who identifies as gay elected to Congress (with Mondaire Jones).
- Mondaire Jones (New York’s 17th District), 민주당 원: First Black man who identifies as gay elected to Congress (with Ritchie Torres).
- Marilyn Strickland (Washington’s 10th District), 민주당 원: First Black member of Congress from Washington, first Korean American woman elected to Congress (with Michelle Steel and Young Kim).
- Michelle Steel (California’s 48th District), 공화주의자: First Korean American woman elected to Congress (with Marilyn Strickland and Young Kim).
- Young Kim (California’s 39th District), 공화주의자: First Korean American woman elected to Congress (with Michelle Steel and Marilyn Strickland).
- 이베트 헤럴 (New Mexico’s 2nd District), 공화주의자: First Native American Republican woman elected to Congress.
The US Senate
117th Congress Senate breakdown by party:
공화당 원: 51 (센 포함. 켈리 로플 러)
민주당: 48 (including two independents who caucus with the Democrats)
Vacant: 1 (그루지야)
Total new senators: 7
공화당 원: 4
There will be
7 new senators at the start of 117th Congress
, including Democratic Sen
. Mark Kelly of Arizona
, who was sworn in in December
. Three seats flipped during the
2020 총선거, with Democrats flipping two and Republicans flipping
1. This resulted in a net gain of
1 seat for Democrats
Total flipped seats: 3
민주당 원: 2
Total women: 26 (will decrease to 25 when Padilla replaces Harris)
민주당 원: 17
Total new female senators: 1
민주당 원: 0
Total states with two female senators: 5 (will decrease to 4 when Padilla replaces Harris)
민주당 원: 5
Age of senators
공화당 센. Josh Hawley of Missouri, born on December 31, 1979, remains the Senate’s youngest member at 41. The youngest new senator is Ben Ray Lujan of New Mexico, 민주당 원, ...에서 48.
Making Senate history:
- 신시아 루미스, 공화주의자: First female senator from Wyoming
Minorities, veterans and retiring members
Total Black members in the House and Senate: 61
집: 58 (56 민주당, 2 공화당 원)
- Newly elected: 8 (6 민주당, 2 공화당 원)
- Reelected incumbents: 50 (50 민주당, 0 공화당 원)
상원: 3 (2 민주당, 1 공화주의자) (will decrease to 2 when Padilla replaces Harris)
- Reelected incumbent: 1 (1 민주당 원)
- No election: 2 (1 민주당 원, 1 공화주의자)
The 117th Congress will have the largest number of Black members in the history of the House and in the history of Congress. 그만큼 58 representatives are a new record for the House, while the record-high three in the Senate remains the same, at least until Harris resigns to become vice president.
Total Latino members in the House and Senate: 44
집: 39 (30 민주당, 9 공화당 원)
- 새로 선출 된 하우스: 6 (2 민주당, 4 공화당 원)
- Reelected House incumbents: 33 (28 민주당, 5 공화당 원)
상원: 5 (3 민주당, 2 공화당 원) (will increase to 6 when Padilla replaces Harris)
- Newly elected Senate: 1 (1 민주당 원)
- No election: 4 (2 민주당, 2 공화당 원)
그만큼 44 Latino members of Congress will be the most ever, according to NALEO. There will also be the most ever Latino senators. Latino House membership will match the current record high. The overall record total in Congress will increase to 45 when Padilla replaces Harris.
Total LGBTQ members in the House and Senate: 11
집: 9 (9 민주당, 0 공화주의자)
- Newly elected: 2 (2 민주당, 0 공화주의자)
- Reelected incumbents: 7 (7 민주당, 0 공화주의자)
상원: 2 (2 민주당, 0 공화주의자)
According to LGBTQ Victory Institute, this will be the most people who identify as LGBTQ to ever serve in the House and the most to ever serve in Congress.
Total veteran members in the House and Senate: 91
집: 74 (21 민주당, 53 공화당 원)
- Newly elected: 14 (2 민주당, 12 공화당 원)
- Reelected incumbents: 60 (19 민주당, 41 공화당 원)
상원: 17 (7 민주당, 10 공화당 원)
- Newly elected: 2 (1 민주당 원, 1 공화주의자)
- Reelected incumbents: 9 (3 민주당, 6 공화당 원)
- No election: 6 (3 민주당, 3 공화당 원)
Fourteen newly elected veterans will be joining the House this year, according to the University of San Francisco and the Veterans Campaign. That’s down from the 18 veterans who were first elected in 2018, but up slightly from the three cycles before that.
Retiring members in the House and Senate: 3
적어도 2 Republican senators and 1 Democratic House member have already announced they will not seek reelection in 2022:
- 공화당 센. Richard Burr of North Carolina
- 공화당 센. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania
- 민주당 대표. Eddie Bernice Johnson of Texas (30일 지구)