Few things in life are predictable. 슬프게도, one is buggy Windows updates. After every major update, you’ll see a slew of reports of broken drivers, features on the fritz, and the Blue Screen of Death.
Those updates also bring vital security patches, so skipping them entirely isn’t your best move. Updates can speed things up, 너무, though you might need some extra help if your PC slogs through every task. Tap or click here for smart, simple ways to speed up your machine.
Speaking of clever tips, I love sharing ways you can get more out of your tech. If you have an iPhone, don’t miss these 10 iPhone tricks you’ll use all the time.
Now that all the kinks are worked out of the big fall Windows update, it’s time to take the best new features for a test drive.
먼저, you need to update
Is the Windows 10 October update installed on your computer? Here’s a quick and easy way to check. Hit the Windows key + 아르 자형, then type winver in the box that pops. Select 확인. The latest version is 2009, build number 19042.572.
If you haven’t already, you can update Windows 10 by navigating to Settings, click on 최신 정보 & 보안, then click on Windows Update. 거기에서, you’ll be able to see if new updates are available for download. If not, simply click on Check for Updates to force the process.
Now you’re ready to start using these new features.
PRODUCTIVITY HACK: Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts you need to know
1. Customize your Start menu
The ability to choose an accent color to customize Windows 10 is nothing new, but the update brings an added twist. You’ll now be able to switch between Light or Dark as the default Windows mode, and for the default app mode.
The default Windows mode changes the color of the taskbar and Start menu. The default app mode changes the color of windows and folders.
To switch between Light or Dark Mode:
- Select Start in the bottom left corner
- Click on Settings (the gear icon)
- Select Personalization, then click Colors in the left menu
- Under Choose your color, you can select either Light or Dark mode, or a combination of both
거기에서, you can choose an accent color for all your windows and colors.
프로 팁: Access this even faster with your mouse. Right-click on your desktop and select Personalize. Click on Colors and follow the last step above.
2. See all your open windows and tabs
If you have a lot of windows open, the taskbar can become cluttered with shortcuts and apps. There’s a much faster way to see which windows are open without having to search through the taskbar.
This trick is a time-honored favorite, 그러나 지금 Alt+Tab shows you all your open browser tabs, 너무. (노트: It only works for Microsoft Edge.)
To try it, press and hold down the Alt key, then press the Tab key. Windows will show you a snapshot of what’s open.
While holding Alt down, you can select a window either by tapping Tab or using your mouse cursor. To close a window, just click on the X in the top-right corner of the preview.
SO LONG, GOOGLE? Edge has a handy new search feature that may make you ditch Chrome
3. Switch to Tablet Mode if you have a Surface Pro or Surface Book
Your Surface Pro or Surface Book can magically transform from a PC to a tablet with a few clicks. This setting is great for when you need a device that’s more touch-friendly and super easy to navigate. It also makes using Windows 앱 designed for tablets to work better.
The switch between tablet and PC mode is super easy:
- Select the Action center in the taskbar. It’s the speech bubble-like icon in the far right-hand corner, next to the clock.
- Underneath the notifications, there are several options that include Wi-Fi connections, Flight mode, and Screen snip.
- Look for Tablet mode. Tap it to switch.
- To switch back to PC mode, just follow the same steps.
노트: This feature only works if your device has a touchscreen.
WANT MORE WINDOWS TIPS? Get all the best security and privacy tips straight to your inbox, once a day. Tap or click here to try it out.
4. Change your display refresh rate
The refresh rate of your monitor determines how smooth motion appears on the screen. This is especially important when playing graphically intensive video games, but you’ll also notice it when you’re dragging open windows around.
Monitors support different refresh rates, determined by the manufacturer and model. In general, a 60Hz monitor can display images at 60 frames per second.
If your graphics are lagging, check that your screen is at its maximum refresh rate:
- Click the Start button in the lower left-hand corner, then select Settings (the gear icon).
- Click on System, then Display. This should open automatically or choose it from the left menu.
- Scroll down to the second-to-last option, Advanced display settings.
- If you use dual monitors, select from the drop-down which monitor you want to change.
- 에서 Refresh rate drop-down menu, you’ll see a few refresh rate options supported by your monitor.
- Just click on the desired refresh rate and close the window.
5. Pin tabs to the taskbar
Just like pinning the calculator, snipping tool, or your favorite app to the taskbar, the latest update allows you to pin website tabs, 너무. The feature provides easy and immediate access to your most frequently visited websites without launching your browser.
노트: 다시, this only works with Microsoft Edge.
To pin tabs:
- Open Microsoft Edge and browse to the website that you want to pin.
- In the top right-hand corner, click on Settings (the three dots).
- Navigate to and hover over More Tools.
- 딸깍 하는 소리 Pin to taskbar and choose the title you want to appear when you hover over the pin.
As a bonus, you can follow the steps above but instead of clicking Pin to taskbar, select Launch taskbar pinning wizard. Edge will take a couple of seconds to analyze your browsing habits and will make a few suggestions of websites to pin for you. Handy!
NEED A HAND WITH A SLOW PC, PRINTER OR A SOFTWARE PROBLEM YOU CAN’T CRACK? Post your tech questions for concrete answers from me and other tech pros. Visit my Q&A Forum and get tech help now.
What digital lifestyle questions do you have? Call Kim’s national radio show and tap or click here to find it on your local radio station. You can listen to or watch The Kim Komando Show on your phone, tablet, television, or computer. Or tap or click here for Kim’s free podcasts.
저작권 2021, WestStar Multimedia Entertainment. 판권 소유.
Learn about all the latest technology on The Kim Komando Show, the nation’s largest weekend radio talk show. Kim takes calls and dispenses advice on today’s digital lifestyle, from smartphones and tablets to online privacy and data hacks. For her daily tips, free newsletters, and more, visit her website at Komando.com.