Bahamas Sandals deaths: what to know about carbon monoxide poisoning, a quiet killer

같이 Fox news reported the tourists were found dead earlier this month at the all-inclusive resort. Multiple reports said four people visited a clinic on Thursday evening complaining of nausea and vomiting. They were treated then returned to their villa. Three of the individuals were found dead Friday, 할 수있다 6, 보고서는 말했다.

Health officials said Monday that the three tourists died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Robbie and Michael Phillips, two of the victims discovered dead on May 6 at Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, 바하마. Samples extracted from the couple and a Florida resident who also died have been sent to a U.S. lab for testing.

Robbie and Michael Phillips, two of the victims discovered dead on May 6 at Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, 바하마. Samples extracted from the couple and a Florida resident who also died have been sent to a U.S. lab for testing. (Facebook/Thesandalslady)

에 따르면 질병 통제 예방 센터, accidental carbon monoxide poisoning sends approximately 50,000 people in the United States to the emergency department each year. The CDC also said at least 430 미국에 있는 사람들. die from accidental CO poisoning each year.

SANDALS BAHAMAS DEATHS: DR. BRADEN SAYS CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING ‘MOST LIKELY’ CAUSE

Health experts told Fox News that carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that is formed from the burning of fuel. The experts explained that carbon monoxide poisoning could occur if an area is not properly vented.

The beach area at the Sandals Emerald Bay resort.

The beach area at the Sandals Emerald Bay resort. (Photo by Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for Sandals)

박사. Fred Davis, D.O., MPH, is a board certified emergency medicine physician at Northwell Health on Long Island, 뉴욕, and spoke to Fox News about carbon monoxide poisoning. Davis told Fox News, “Carbon monoxide replaces oxygen on hemoglobin, the carrier of oxygen in our blood, and prevents oxygen from getting to cells. This leads to headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, confusion, and if one stays in the affected area, passing out and death.

데이비스, who is also the associate chair of emergency medicine at Northwell Health, said the best way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to have carbon monoxide detectors at home.

파일 - Photo of the Sandals Emerald Bay Resort during the third round of the Web.com Tour's The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic at Sandals Emerald Bay golf course on Jan. 15, 2019, in Great Exuma, 바하마.

파일 – Photo of the Sandals Emerald Bay Resort during the third round of the Web.com Tour’s The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic at Sandals Emerald Bay golf course on Jan. 15, 2019, in Great Exuma, 바하마. (Ben Jared/PGA TOUR)

Davis told Fox News, “If you are in a place where there is the burning of fuel (even some cooking appliances like stoves, or water heaters, and exhaust from cars) and you start having such symptoms, the first thing to do is remove yourself from the area.Davis added, “Being able to go into an open area away from such items can help to relieve mild symptoms.

바하마 샌들 리조트 사망: AMERICAN HONEYMOONERS DESCRIBE ‘SCARY FEELING’

The emergency department physician said the elderly, young children, individuals with underlying respiratory or cardiovascular conditions, and those who are pregnant are most susceptible to CO poisoning.

According to the CDC, individuals who are asleep or those who drank alcohol can die from CO poisoning before displaying symptoms.

FOX 뉴스 앱을 다운로드하려면 여기를 클릭하십시오.

그만큼 CDC provided the following tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning on their website:

  • Never use a gas range or oven to heat a home.
  • Never leave the motor running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage.
  • Never run a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine inside a basement, garage, or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open, unless the equipment is professionally installed and vented. Keep vents and flues free of debris, especially if winds are high. Flying debris can block ventilation lines.
  • Never run a motor vehicle, generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine less than 20 feet from an open window, 문, or vent where exhaust can vent into an enclosed area.
  • Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a home, tent, or camper.
  • If conditions are too hot or too cold, seek shelter with friends or at a community shelter.

The CDC also recommends that if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning seek medical attention right away.

댓글이 닫혀 있습니다..