“We’re considering the advice you’ve given that we should start earlier,” Biden said.
Biden noted that the US booster program is expected to start September 20, pending sign off from the US Food and Drug Administration and US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Earlier this month, US health officials announced
that booster shots would be offered starting eight months after an individual’s second dose of the mRNA Covid-19 vaccines. There is not yet enough data to make plans for a Johnson & Johnson vaccine booster, although they’re being studied.
“The question raised is should it be shorter than eight months, should it be almost five months? That’s being discussed. I spoke with Dr. Fauci this morning about that,” Biden said, referring to Anthony Fauci, his chief medical adviser and director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Israel was one of the first countries to announce a booster shot program last month. Currently, anyone more than 30 years of age in Israel is eligible for a third dose of vaccine at least five months after their second dose.
The Biden administration’s plans to administer booster doses of Covid-19 vaccine are an effort to “stay ahead” of the coronavirus, US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy said during a virtual White House Covid-19 briefing around the announcement.
Murthy emphasized that coronavirus vaccines still appear to be effective in protecting against severe Covid-19, hospitalization and death — but data suggest that protection against mild and moderate disease appears to decline over time, and US health officials want to boost protection before it declines against severe disease.
This story has been updated with additional information.