Una fuente cercana a Breyer le dijo a Fox News que el juez dejará el cargo al final del mandato actual de la Corte Suprema a principios de este verano..
Liberal activists were calling for the 83-year-old justice to retire soon after Biden was inaugurated. Sources close to Breyer, sin embargo, said the justice made the decision on his own terms and was not forced out.
Breyer was appointed by former President Bill Clinton, un demócrata. Breyer’s replacement will need to be confirmed by the Senate, which is currently split 50-50 entre demócratas y republicanos, with Democrats technically holding the majority because Vice President Harris can break ties.
Líder de la mayoría del Senado Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said Wednesday Breyer’s replacement will be “confirmed by the full United States Senate with all deliberate speed.”
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said Wednesday that the White House won’t be commenting, por ahora, about Breyer stepping down. HAGA CLIC AQUÍ PARA OBTENER MÁS INFORMACIÓN SOBRE NUESTRA PRINCIPAL HISTORIA.
En otros desarrollos:
– Biden promised Rep. Clyburn to nominate Black woman to SCOTUS
– CNN, MSNBC tout Supreme Court vacancy as political opportunity for Biden: ‘This could be a real jolt’
– Breyer’s retirement from Supreme Court prompts ‘Squad’ to call for Black woman nominee: Biden, ‘you promised’
– Supreme Court math: The Senate formulas for confirming or sinking Stephen Breyer’s successor
– Breyer was relentlessly bullied by the left to get out before Republicans seize the Senate
US hands Russia written response to demands, says up to Kremlin how to proceed
Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced Wednesday that the United States has delivered written responses to demands made by Russia, saying it will be up to the Kremlin on how they want to proceed amid heightening tensions between Moscow and Ukraine.