A source close to Breyer told Fox News that the justice will step down at the end of the current Supreme Court term early this summer.
Liberal activists were calling for the 83-year-old justice to retire soon after Biden was inaugurated. Sources close to Breyer, しかしながら, said the justice made the decision on his own terms and was not forced out.
Breyer was appointed by former President Bill Clinton, 民主党. Breyer’s replacement will need to be confirmed by the Senate, which is currently split 50-50 between Democrats and Republicans, with Democrats technically holding the majority because Vice President Harris can break ties.
上院多数党首チャックシューマー, D-N.Y。, said Wednesday Breyer’s replacement will be “confirmed by the full United States Senate with all deliberate speed.”
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said Wednesday that the White House won’t be commenting, 少なくとも今のところ, about Breyer stepping down. トップストーリーの詳細については、ここをクリックしてください.
– Biden promised Rep. クライバーン to nominate Black woman to SCOTUS
– CNN, MSNBC tout Supreme Court vacancy as political opportunity for Biden: ‘This could be a real jolt’
– Breyer’s retirement from Supreme Court prompts ‘Squad’ to call for Black woman nominee: バイデン, ‘you promised’
– Supreme Court math: The Senate formulas for confirming or sinking Stephen Breyer’s successor
– Breyer was relentlessly bullied by the left 取得するため out before Republicans seize the Senate
US hands Russia written response to demands, says up to Kremlin how to proceed
Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced Wednesday that the United States has delivered written responses to demands made by Russia, saying it will be up to the Kremlin on how they want to proceed amid heightening tensions between Moscow and Ukraine.