로드리게스, 38, 말했다 뉴욕 포스트 that she was startled at around 11 오전. whe she heard the screams from children, “도움! 도움! 도움!”
“어두웠 다,” 그녀가 말했다. “The smoke was really bad. Those kids crying for help.”
Another witness told the paper that she watched mothers fainting when they “saw their kids dying.”
Fire officials said a malfunctioning electric space heater inside a duplex on the second floor of the 19-story building at 333 이자형. 181st St. in the Tremont section of the Bronx led to the fire that led to the deaths. MyFoxNY.com reported that more than 50 people were injured – including 13 who were listed in critical condition at nearby hospitals.
Trapped residents broke windows for air and stuffed wet towels under doors as smoke rose from a lower-floor apartment where the fire started. Survivors told of fleeing in panic down darkened hallways and stairs, barely able to breathe.
에릭 아담스 시장 praised firefighters who continued to push their way through the smoke despite the fact that their compressed air tanks were empty.
“I really want to thank them for putting their lives on the line to save lives,” 그는 말했다. Firefighters found victims on every floor of the building. The children who died were 16 years or younger, 뉴스 12 신고.
Sunday’s fire happened just days after 12 사람들, including eight children, were killed in a house fire in Philadelphia. 에 1989, a Tennessee apartment building fire claimed the lives of 16 사람들.
The conditions inside the building were chaotic. One woman told Fox 5 that she was forced to step over the bodies of a person and dog while she ran down a smoke-filled staircase.
Jose Henriquez, an immigrant from the Dominican Republic who lives on the 10th floor, said the building’s fire alarms would frequently go off, but would turn out to be false.
“It seems like today, they went off but the people didn’t pay attention,” Henriquez said in Spanish.
AP 통신이이 보고서에 기여했습니다.