미국소아과학회 (AAP), 버튼 배터리 태스크 포스가 있는, 이상으로 추정 2,500 어린이의 버튼 배터리 부상은 매년 발생합니다.. 배터리는 리모컨에서 찾을 수 있습니다., flameless candles, bathroom scales and other household devices like light-up sneakers, watches and calculators.
They can cause severe tissue burns in as little as two hours and lead to lifelong injuries. If a child is suspected to have swallowed a button battery or placed one in their nose or ear, immediate emergency care is recommended. The AAP also recommends calling the National Battery Ingestion Hotline for assistance at 1-800-498-8666.
Signs that could indicate a child has ingested a battery could include wheezing, drooling, belly or chest pain, coughing, gagging or choking.
In addition to the significant spike seen during the early months of the pandemic, the AAP reports that the number of children with serious injury or death more than quadrupled in the five years between 2006 과 2010 compared to the five years prior.
“The most serious injuries are usually associated with 20 mm diameter batteries, about the size of a nickel, because they are likely to get lodged in a small child’s esophagus,” the AAP warned. “If a coin cell lithium battery becomes lodged in the esophagus it can cause tissue injury and necrosis within hours, leading to perforation or death if not removed urgently.”
The CPSC also found a sharp rise in injuries related to cleaning agents, which it said “is likely because as consumers stayed home and did more housecleaning, injuries increased.”
“These included injuries from liquid laundry packets, which continue to be a severe hazard for both small children in the event of ingestion and – increasingly – for seniors, who suffer ocular injuries,” the CPSC stated.