Even if a pet is not displaying any symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning, the FDA recommends that pet owners who have pets that have eaten the affected products contact their veterinarian — as it can cause long-term liver damage.
While the FDA says there is no evidence that pet owners who have handled the affected food are at risk of aflatoxin poisoning, it recommends that they always wash their hands after handling pet food.
The following foods added to the original recall are as follows, but the FDA says there are over 1000 affected lot codes so they are not listed individually:
- Pro Pac Adult Mini Chunk, 40 lb. 包
- Pro Pac Performance Puppy, 40 lb. 包
- Splash Fat Cat 32%, 50 lb. 包
- Nunn Better Maintenance, 50 lb. 包
- Sportmix Original Cat, 15 lb. 包
- Sportmix Original Cat, 31 lb. 包
- Sportmix Maintenance, 44 lb. 包
- Sportmix Maintenance, 50 lb. 包
- Sportmix High Protein, 50 lb. 包
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 44 lb. 包
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 50 lb. 包
- Sportmix Stamina, 44 lb. 包
- Sportmix Stamina, 50 lb. 包
- Sportmix Bite Size, 40 lb. 包
- Sportmix Bite Size, 44 lb. 包
- Sportmix High Energy, 44 lb. 包
- Sportmix High Energy, 50 lb. 包
- Sportmix Premium Puppy, 16.5 lb. 包
- Sportmix Premium Puppy, 33 lb. 包
Customers can find the lot code on the back of bag in a three-line code. The following dry pet foods were flagged for recall on December 30:
Sportmix Energy Plus, 50-pound bag
Sportmix Energy Plus, 44-pound bag
Sportmix Premium High Energy, 50-pound bag
Sportmix Premium High Energy, 44-pound bag
Sportmix Original Cat, 31-pound bag
Sportmix Original Cat, 15-pound bag
Pet owners can report suspected illnesses to the FDA electronically through its safety reporting portal or by calling the state consumer complaint coordinator. The FDA also offers a guide with steps to report a pet food complaint.
The investigation is ongoing, and the scope of the recall may expand as new information becomes available, the FDA said.