Once RALLY staff and workers from the outside contractor, NANA Management Services (NMS), realized the mistake, a RALLY site manager contacted poison control, 该地区说.
After parents were notified, some students were taken to a nearby hospital or their medical provider, 该地区说, adding that some children also experienced headaches and nausea along with the burning in their mouths and throats.
As of Wednesday evening, the district said all 12 students were recovering and some had fully recovered.
Two of the other floor sealant boxes retrieved at the warehouse were delivered to two other schools, where they remained unopened, 该地区说.
“The Juneau School District Board of Education was appalled to learn of the food service error that occurred earlier this week,” 声明说. “Our immediate priority is with the students impacted by the incident and ensuring their recovery and continued safety.
“The Board is working to understand how this occurred and ensure we have proper safeguards in place that prevent this kind of error from happening again.”
Investigations into the incident are still ongoing and involve participation by the school district, City and Borough of Juneau, NMS, Alaska’s Department of Environmental Conservation and the Juneau Police Department, 声明说.
The school district also said it has been in contact with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Department of Education and Early Development, Department of Labor and the Department of Health and Social Services.
What the school is doing in response
All sealant in the school has been accounted for and stored away from food service areas, the school district said, and the food storage warehouse has been inspected to ensure it now contains only food items.
“在星期三, the facility and operations were inspected by the State of Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Food Safety and Sanitation Office. DEC Food Safety approved the facility for continuing operations,” 声明说.
DEC is also conducting an investigation and is expected to follow up recommendations. The district is also preparing to submit “corrective action plans” to the DEC, 声明说.
The school also said that there was a delay in notifying parents after the mistake was discovered, which has led them to evaluate the program’s communication protocols for quicker alerts.
“There was a delay in parent notification which was longer than it should have been. This caused families to learn about the situation from other people, which is not best practice,” the district statement said.
The Juneau School District Board of Education will hold a special public meeting on Friday, which representatives of NMS will attend, 它说.