Come evitare l'avvelenamento da monossido di carbonio mentre si cerca di stare al caldo durante le interruzioni di corrente

A giant winter storm that’s brought ice and plummeting temperatures to a large swathe of the country has left more than five million people without power, creating another possibly dangerous situation for millions of Americans who don’t typically see temperature di congelamento.

As people try to keep warm without power, they run the risk for carbon monoxide poisoning when using unconventional heat sources such as stoves, grills or generators.
Here’s what you need to know and do in order to stay safe and warm during the cold snap.

It has no taste or smell

    Carbon monoxide is a gas that has no odor, color or taste.
    Although you can’t see or smell it, it can be extremely dangerous to your health and possibly even fatal.

    You could feel like you have the flu

    While it’s tempting to turn on a gas stove or oven, or perhaps climb into a car to warm up, il Centri statunitensi per il controllo e la prevenzione delle malattie (Centro per la prevenzione e il controllo delle malattie) say those options can be deadly, con più di 400 Americans dying each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, many because they’ve tried do-it-yourself fixes during power outages.
    “Ogni anno, più di 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, più di 20,000 visit the emergency room, e più di 4,000 are hospitalized,” ha detto il CDC.
    If you’re suffering from CO poisoning you could experience flu-like symptoms such as headache, dizziness, debolezza, irritato.
    Breathing in a lot of CO can cause you to lose consciousness and people who are sleeping or drunk can die before they even suffer any other symptoms, Secondo il centro per la prevenzione e il controllo delle malattie.
    A car drives slow during the snowfall near Old Canton Road in Ridgeland, Mississippi on February 15, 2021.

    CO poisoning can come from a lot of sources

    The CDC warns that carbon monoxide poisoning can come from a variety of different sources.
    Carbon monoxide (CO) is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterne, griglie, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it,” the agency website says.
    Americans are advised not to run cars or trucks inside attached garages, even if the door is left open. People also should not heat their homes with gas ovens or burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented, the CDC advises.
    Even using devices outside of the home comes with a caution that you stay more than 20 feet from a window, porta, or vent, to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning when using a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove,

    Louisiana officials issue warning

    The Louisiana Department of Health issued updated warnings Monday amid outages in the state.
    People die each year, especially after hurricanes hit the area, due to carbon monoxide poisoning from generators.
    People work to free a stuck motorist in Oklahoma City on February 15, 2021.

    Several hurricane deaths from CO poisoning

    At least nine deaths that were associated with Hurricane Laura were caused by the improper use of portable devices such as generators.
    Although they are dealing with a different type of severe weather, the risk for poisoning still remains.

    Ventilation is needed when using devices

    Portable generators should never be used indoors. This includes use inside a garage, carport, seminterrato, crawl space, or other enclosed or partially enclosed area, even those with ventilation,” a warning from the state health department said. “Gas-powered generators produce an exhaust of carbon monoxide (CO), which is odorless and colorless.
    CO inhalation can rapidly lead to full incapacitation or death,” ha aggiunto.
    It also said that CO can build up if even windows and doors are open.

      Get fresh air

      The department advises anyone who is running a different heat or power source and is feeling unwell to get to fresh air immediately.

      I commenti sono chiusi.