Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzer is favored to win the Democratic primary in his bid for a second term. Also seeking a second term is US Sen. Tammy Duckworth, who is unopposed for the Democratic nomination. A crowded field of Republicans are competing to take them on.
In Colorado, there are competitive Republican primaries to take on top statewide-elected Democrats, insluitend Gov. Jared Polis, Secretary of State Jena Griswold and US Sen. Michael Bennet in November.
There is a particular focus on the GOP primary for secretary of state
, which features Mesa County Clerk Tina Peters
, wie was indicted on multiple felony and misdemeanor counts after an investigation into an election security breach in her office and is barred from overseeing elections in her county
. Peters faces two other opponents in the race to take on Griswold
: Pam Anderson
, a former Jefferson County clerk who has received endorsements from current and former elected officials
, including three former secretaries of state
, and Mike O’Donnell
, who founded a nonprofit small-business lending firm
Two Republicans are challenging Polis
: university regent Heidi Ganahl
, the only Republican in elected statewide office in Colorado
, and former Parker Mayor Greg Lopez
, who has said he believes former President Donald Trump
wen die 2020 verkiesing. Republicans seeking the party nod to take on Bennet include state Rep
. Ron Hanks and businessman Joe O’Dea
In Mississippi, Republikeinse verteenwoordigers. Michael Guest and Steven Palazzo were forced into runoffs after neither took a majority of the vote in the first round on June 7. In the 3rd District, Guest faces Navy veteran Michael Cassidy, who has focused throughout the campaign on the incumbent’s vote to establish an independent commission to investigate the January 6, 2021, aanval op die Amerikaanse Capitol. In the 4th District, Palazzo, who is under a congressional ethics investigation over allegations of misuse of campaign funds, will take on Jackson County Sheriff Mike Ezell.
New York’s redistricting process pushed the state’s congressional and state Senate primaries to August
, but New Yorkers will cast ballots Tuesday to decide the nominees in statewide and state Assembly elections
, as well as for some local offices
. The state’s senior US senator
, Majority Leader Chuck Schumer
, is unopposed for the Democratic nod and favored to win a fifth term in November
Also in the Empire State
, Demokratiese goewerneur. Kathy Hochul is seeking a full term after being elevated to the top job when former Gov
. Andrew Cuomo resigned last year
. She’s facing US Rep
. Tom Suozzi and New York City Public Advocate Jumaane Williams in the primary
. On the Republican side
, Amerikaanse verteenwoordiger. Lee Zeldin headlines a field that includes Andrew Giuliani
, former Trump White House aide and the son of former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani
, and Westchester County executive Rob Astorino
, both of the state’s US Senate seats are on the ballot this year
— GOP U. James Lankford is running for a second full term and there’s also a special election for the seat Republican Sen
. Jim Inhofe is vacating after the end of the year
Inhofe has endorsed Luke Holland
, sy voormalige stafhoof, in the GOP primary for his seat
. Other candidates include US Rep
. Markwayne Mullin, former state House Speaker T.W
. Shannon and former EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt
, who was the subject of various ethics investigations during his tenure under Trump
, voorste to his resignation in July
2018. Former US Rep
. Kendra Horn is unopposed for the Democratic nomination
Oklahoma GOP Gov
. Kevin Stitt is favored to win renomination for a second term Tuesday over a handful of primary challengers
. Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction Joy Hofmeister
, who switched her party affiliation from Republican to Democrat last fall to challenge Stitt
, faces former state Sen
. Connie Johnson for the Democratic nomination
In Utah, Ben Ray Luján het verwag om ten volle te herstel nadat hy beroerte gehad het. Mike Lee is favored to win his primary as he bids for a third term
. Utah Democrats won’t have any federal primaries Tuesday and don’t have a Senate candidate at all but instead have gotten behind independent Evan McMullin
In Nebraska’s 1st District
, Republican Mike Flood and Democrat Patty Pansing Brooks
, both state senators
, are facing off in the special election for the seat left vacant by the resignation of GOP Rep
. Jeff Fortenberry
, who was convicted of making false statements and lying to authorities during an investigation of illegal campaign contributions
. The two will also meet in November’s general election for the full term
, this special election will be conducted under the district’s new boundaries following redistricting after the
2020 sensus. Trump would have carried the seat by
11 punte in 2020, leaving Flood as the favorite Tuesday
How to follow CNN’s Election Coverage?
You can follow along with results on CNN.com and with our live updates
. CNN’s decision desk will be monitoring results and will make projections accordingly
What time do polls close?
In South Carolina, polls close at 7 nm. EN. Mail-in ballots must be received by poll close on election day.
In Illinois, polls close at 8 nm. EN. Mail-in ballots can be received by July 12 if they’re postmarked on or before election day.
In Mississippi, polls close at 8 nm. EN. Mail-in ballots can be received by July 6 if postmarked by election day.
In Oklahoma, polls close at 8 nm. EN. Mail-in ballots are due by hand by close of business June 27 or by mail by close of polls on election day.
In Colorado, polls close at 9 nm. EN. All registered voters are mailed a ballot. Ballots must be received by close of polls on election day.
In Nebraska, polls close at 9 nm. EN. Mail-in ballots must be returned by close of polls on election day.
In New York, polls close at 9 nm. EN. Mail-in ballots can be received by July 5 if postmarked by election day.
In Utah, polls close at 10 nm. EN. All registered voters receive a mail-in ballot. Ballots must be postmarked by June 27.
CNN has numerous election-related resources available to readers:
- 7 things to watch for in primaries in Colorado, Illinois and other states: Tuesday’s last round of primaries before the midterm election season takes a brief summer hiatus could be the last stand for a handful of high-profile incumbents facing challenges for their seats or clashing with each other to keep their places on Capitol Hill.
- Voters in conservative Colorado county worry about nominating election denier for secretary of state: Mesa County clerk Tina Peters, who has become Colorado’s most prominent election denier, is seeking the Republican nomination in Tuesday’s primary to become secretary of state.
- A generational fight roils Chicago Democrats as progressive challenger Kina Collins takes on longtime Rep. Danny Davis: Community organizer Kina Collins’ first challenge to Illinois Rep. Danny Davis was a flop. Maar hierdie jaar, she has a more robust campaign infrastructure and the consolidated force of national progressives in her corner.
- ‘Roe is on the ballot’: Supreme Court’s ruling on abortion rights raises stakes in midterms: The fight over abortion has moved to the forefront of this fall’s midterm elections as Democrats urge voters to view November as their best hope to halt the erosion of reproductive rights set off by the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v. Wade.
- Analise: End of Roe v. Wade may not hurt Republicans in Congress, but it could sting them in the states: The ending of Roe v. Wade likely won’t affect the outcome of the federal elections this year. It adds a wrinkle of uncertainty, but Republicans are still favored. State elections could be where the real impact of this Supreme Court decision is truly felt.
- Analise: Democrats still have this glimmer of hope for the midterm elections: President Joe Biden can’t avoid a bad midterm election. But with a boost last week from the US Supreme Court, he still might avoid the worst.
- After year of historic political gains, Black women continue push toward governorships: As a record number of Black women run for statewide office and Congress in the 2022 verkiesingsiklus, there is renewed hope that one of the candidates will finally ascend to the governorship in 2022.