Lawmakers and U.S. 军事 veterans are calling on Arlington National Cemetery to reconsider its decision to cancel its annual Wreaths Across America program, which honors fallen soldiers with wreaths all over the country and abroad.
The cemetery announced Monday that they are canceling the event that had been scheduled for December 19 at Arlington National Cemetery and the Soldiers’ and Airmen’s Home Cemetery due to 新冠病毒 顾虑.
“I encourage Army leaders to reconsider this decision,” 它的. 汤姆·科顿, R-方舟, tweeted in response to the news. “Thousands of people have marched in DC streets the past couple weekends for Joe Biden and Donald Trump. Surely volunteers can responsibly place wreaths on the graves of our fallen heroes at Arlington.”
代表. 和克伦肖, 德州, himself a veteran, also urged the cemetery to reconsider, citing measures that could be taken to protect attendees.
“This decision to cancel #wreathsacrossamerica must be reversed immediately. Critical thinking must win out over emotion,” Crenshaw said in a tweet. “Large areas, outside and well spaced, with masks on, is perfectly safe. Our fallen deserve to be remembered.”
In a press release, Arlington National Cemetery said that it had conducted a “thorough analysis” of how to safely conduct the event before ultimately deciding to cancel.
“We did not make this decision lightly. 尽管制定了控制措施以分散潜在的时间和空间人群, 和所需的人身安全协议, 我们认为，举办任何规模的活动都可能损害我们完成退伍军人及其合格家庭成员安息的核心使命的能力。,” Office of Army National Cemeteries and Arlington National Cemetery Executive Director Karen Durham-Aguilera said in a statement.
The Wreaths Across America organization, 与此同时, said that they had been “working tirelessly with local, state and national officials” to make sure the outdoor events are carried out safely and within local regulations.
“作为一个组织, 我们对这意外的转折感到震惊,” they said in a statement. “说我们被毁了, would be an understatement.”