Kyaw Moe Tun described the incidents as “clearly amounting to crimes against humanity,” calling on the UN Security Council and international community to impose a global arms embargo on Myanmar’s military.
“There is no sign of easing atrocities, 殺害, arrest committed by the military,” 彼が書きました. “We demand for urgent humanitarian intervention from the international community before it is too late.”
Fighting in the Sagaing area has now mainly stopped and it was unclear if more bodies would be found, said a member of the Kani militia, who asked not to be identified.
“Most villagers in the remote area had fled to the nearby town,” 彼は言った, accusing the military and a rival pro-junta militia of carrying out reprisal killings and looting.
The militia member also put the total number of bodies so far at around 40, found on several occasions.
A military information newsletter dated July 30 said security forces had been attacked by around 100 “テロリスト” with small arms near Zeepindwin village in Kani. It said soldiers had retaliated and nine bodies had been retrieved, along with hunting rifles, homemade mines and a grenade.
Security forces have killed at least 946 people since the coup, according to the Assistance Association of Political Prisoners, a Thai-based activist group. The military has disputed the tally and also said many members of the security forces have been killed.