New York Times faces new pushback on 'Caliphate' podcast

뉴욕 (CNN 사업)그만큼 뉴욕 타임즈 (지금) 발견 된 허위로 인한 낙진을 어떻게 처리했는지에 대한 새로운 타격에 직면 해 있습니다. “Caliphate,” the paper’s award-winning, 12-이슬람 국가에 대한 일부 팟 캐스트.

A group of 24 public radio stations sent a letter on Monday to The Times audio department with concerns aboutlapses in judgmentin its response last month when the paper announced that the podcastdid not meet our standards for accuracy.These stations broadcastThe Daily,” The Timesflagship daily news podcast. The letter, obtained by CNN Business, was earlier tweeted by Washington Post’s Erik Wemple.
The Times started an investigation into the reporting process behind “Caliphate” in September after Canadian police 청구 됨 Shehroze Chaudhry withHoax-Terrorist activity.” 지난 달, The Times said itfound a history of misrepresentations by Mr. Chaudhry and no corroboration that he committed the atrocities he described in the ‘Caliphate’ 팟 캐스트,” according to an editor’s note, and affixed audio corrections to the episodes.
These journalistic errors have been a black mark on The Timesaudio ambitions led by the team behindThe Daily. “Caliphate” won the 2018 Peabody in the radio/podcast category, a prestigious journalism award, which The Times has since returned.
Monday’s letter, sent by the Public Radio Program Directors Association, focused not on the merit of the podcast but on the way The Times handled the fallout. It expressed three concerns. The first of which was regarding the host ofThe Daily,” Michael Barbaro, who contacted other journalists in what was perceived as an attempt to try to sway their coverage of the “Caliphate” fallout. These messages were previously 신고 by NPR’s David Folkenflik, who had been among those Barbaro contacted.
The letter also said The Timesdecision to have Barbaro interview Times Executive Editor Dean Baquet wasflawed,” in part because of Barbaro’s personal relationship with Lisa Tobin, the executive producer ofCaliphate.The two are engaged.
The final concern was about Andy Mills, a producer ofCaliphate.The letter takes issue with Mills being givengreater visibilityfollowing the fallout whereas Rukmini Callimachi, the journalist behind the podcast, was reassigned. Mills had produced and hosted an episode ofThe Dailythat released a few days after The Times announced the results of their investigation into the “Caliphate” 팟 캐스트. The letter also linked to a Washington Post story about allegations of inappropriate behavior by Mills, most of which occurred at his previous job at WNYC’s Radiolab.
Abby Goldstein, president and executive director of the Public Radio Program Directors Association, told CNN Business on Tuesday that the letter was intended to communicate concerns and notdraw a line in the sandwith specific demands.
When we put programming on the air for our audiences, we’re endorsing that programming. We’re telling our audiences we believe in the journalistic rigor of these programs, and we’re making them available to you through our biggest megaphone,” Goldstein said. The letter isreally about taking responsibility for the behavior of the staff.
The Times responded on Tuesday to each of the concerns in a letter signed by Sam Dolnick, an assistant managing editor at the paper.
We believe we’ve handled what was a significant journalistic lapse with accountability. We are deeply committed to continuing to pursue ambitious audio journalism and have already begun implementing changes that will make our audio report even stronger,” Dolnick wrote.
Dolnick wrote that The Times did not believe Barbaro had to disclose his relationship with Tobin since the conversation was seen as anaudio versionof an editor’s note whereas anaccountability interviewwas given to NPR. He also said Barbarodeeply regretsthe private messages he sent journalists and thateditors have discussed their expectations with him going forward.
Regarding Mills, Dolnick wrote that The Times is taking the allegations of misconductvery seriously.As to why Mills hosted the recent episode ofThe Daily,” Dolnick said the episode had been previously scheduled but that the companyshould have changed plans.
The Times did not comment beyond the letter. Barbaro and Mills did not respond to requests for comment.

댓글이 닫혀 있습니다..