Protesters gather in Tacoma as an officer who drove into a crowd is placed on administrative leave

Dozens gathered in downtown Tacoma, Washington, on Sunday to protest the city’s police department after a police officer drove into a crowd Saturday night.

The 58-year-old police officer was placed on administrative leave after running over at least one person and possibly striking others, según un comunicado de prensa del Departamento de Policía de Tacoma. He had been with the department for por poco 30 años.
El oficial no fue identificado en la declaración policial..
Two people were taken to the hospital following the incident, de acuerdo con la Pierce County Force Investigative Team, which is now leading the investigation. None of the injures are believed to be life-threatening, according to the investigative team’s statement, and at least one person has since been released.
    Some of the protesters Sunday night blocked streets with signs and traffic cones near where the incident occurred. Others overturned trashcans and lit the contents on fire, while a few smashed windows of cars and buildings.
    Protesters gather in Tacoma, Washington, Sunday night.

    Officer drove through crowd after he was surrounded, la policía dice

    Junto con otras unidades policiales, the officer was responding to reports of an incident at the intersection of South 9th and Pacific Avenue in Tacoma around 6:20 pm. en sábado, a press release from TPD dicho.
    Una vez en escena, los oficiales encontraron varios vehículos y aproximadamente 100 personas bloqueando la intersección, que empezaron a aclarar “por la seguridad de los reunidos y las personas que intentan usar la calle,” el comunicado dijo.
    As the officers worked to clear the street, a crowd formed around the officer’s vehicle and began pounding on the windows, Tacoma police spokesperson Wendy Haddow told El News Tribune.
    A still image from video of the incident shows people surrounding the vehicle.

    “Tenía miedo de que le rompieran el vaso,” ella dijo, lo que lo llevó a alejarse rápidamente de la escena, the News Tribune reported.
    Lights and sirens were activated as the crowd continued to surround the vehicle, el comunicado dijo. The officer inside the SUV tried backing up, but according to the release was not able to because of the crowd.
    “Temiendo por su seguridad,” el comunicado dijo, “el oficial avanzó golpeando a un individuo y puede haber impactado a otros,” mientras trataba de salir del “posición insegura.” Una vez que el oficial estuvo “en un punto de seguridad,” he called for medical aid the release said.
    The News Tribune reported one person sustained a laceration in the collision and was transported to a local hospital.

    Videos show officer drive through crowd

    In at least one graphic video of the incident that was circulating on social media, the police vehicle with lights and sirens on can be seen slowly moving closer to the crowd gathered in front of the vehicle.
    An engine is heard revving in the background and the vehicle backs up before accelerating forward into the crowd, tirando a varias personas al suelo.
    The vehicle then slows down slightly, as it appears to bounce while driving over something, before continuing through the intersection. The back tires of the vehicle can be seen rolling over someone lying in the street.
    A second video shot at the scene shows a white car doing donuts in the middle of the intersection and driving off just as officers arrive, Momentos antes de que se vea al vehículo policial conduciendo entre la multitud..
    En otro video, el sonido de un motor acelerando es seguido por una serie de golpes y un individuo exclama dos veces, “Maldita sea, están atropellando a un coche de policía.”
    Momentos después se escucha un motor acelerando nuevamente y la gente se dispersa y comienza a gritar., “ay Dios mío! ay Dios mío!” repetidamente. A few seconds later a smaller crowd is seen forming around what appears to be someone laying on the ground.

    Mayor wants those involved held accountable

    Tacoma Mayor Victoria Woodards said in una declaración she isdeeply concernedby the incident.
    As a use of deadly force, this incident is being taken very seriously and the scene has appropriately been turned over to the Pierce County Force Investigation Team for independent investigation,” the mayor said.
    While we await more information, I want the community to know that I am deeply concerned and praying for everyone who was impacted by last night’s events,” Woodards said. “I continue to be proud of Tacoma’s long-standing reputation as a place of strong, non-violent advocacy and activism.
    The mayor has called on the city manager and police chief to hold everyone involved accountable in the incident.
    Tacoma City Manager Elizabeth Pauli told CNN affiliate KING Sunday that videos she watched of the incident were “horrendo.”
    I was horrified, those videos are very difficult to watch,” Pauli said. “I feel concern for the individual that was run over. I feel concern for those that witnessed that event. I feel concern for our officers that are involved.
    Interim Police Chief Mike Ake said in a press releaseI am concerned that our department is experiencing another use of deadly force incident.
      I send my thoughts to anyone who was injured in tonight’s event and am committed to our Department’s full cooperation in the independent investigation and to assess the actions of the department’s response during the incident,” Ake said.
      The Community Police Advisory Board will hold a special meeting Monday night at 6 pm. PST to discuss the incident, a tweet from TPD said.

      los comentarios están cerrados.