Severely hypothermic hiker dies after rescue in 'treacherous' conditions near Mt. Washington

Un escursionista salvato da “infido” condizioni su un sentiero vicino al monte. Washington in New Hampshire’s Presidential Mountain Range died after suffering from severe hypothermia, funzionari statali hanno detto lunedì.

Xi Chen, 53, di Andover, Massachusetts, was attempting to hike the Gulfside Trail in the Presidential Range when he wasovercome by severe weather conditions,” according to a New Hampshire Fish and Game (NHFG) comunicato stampa.
The hiker’s spouse called the agency Saturday around 6:30 p.m. after Chen sent her a text message telling her he wascold and wet and could not continue on” e che lui “felt he would die without a rescue,” according to another news release issued Sunday.
      NHFG officers had already received multiple calls that day from cold and wet hikers asking for rescues, the majority of whom were traversing high elevations in the Presidential Range, ha detto il comunicato. Dovuto al “dire natureof the call about Chen, rescue crews responded immediately and called for additional resources, including officers from around the state and Mountain Rescue Services personnel.
        The conditions in the high peaks were treacherous: temperature di congelamento, pioggia, sleet, neve, and winds gusting over 80 mph. Only those with the experience, formazione, and adequate gear were utilized for this rescue,” ha detto il comunicato. In totale, nine mountain rescue personnel and six conservation officers responded to attempt to rescue Chen, according to NHFG.
          Two teams of rescuers were dropped off near the summit at around 9:30 p.m. e 10:30 p.m. and hiked throughdriving rain, blowing snow, and sustained 50-60 mph winds with gusts over 80 mph” to reach the location Chen was believed to be in, ha detto il comunicato. Due to the buildup of ice on the road, chains were placed on the tires of park trucks to drive rescuers to the summit.
          a circa 10:38 p.m., the first rescue team found Chen, chi era “unresponsive and in a highly hypothermic state,” ha detto il comunicato. Rescuers immediately placed a temporary shelter over him and tried to warm him up, ha detto.
          After detecting signs of life, rescuers carried him over a mile to the summit of Mt. Washington, secondo il comunicato.
          At the summit, Chen was placed in a truck and driven to a waiting ambulance that transported him to the Androscoggin Valley Hospital in Berlin, di 24 miles northeast of the Mt. Washington summit, NHFG said.
          Life saving efforts were performed on Chen for several hours but he could not be revived and was pronounced dead, NHFG said.
          Many of the hikers who called for rescues Saturday were not prepared for the weather conditions forecast on Saturday, according to NHFG.
          The forecasted weather conditions, particularly for the higher summits, was not heeded by many hikers,” the agency said in its release. “Several found themselves unprepared for the dangerous conditions above tree line, and instead of turning back or bailing out to safer elevations, they continued on and ultimately called 911 expecting a rescue.
            When NHFG received the emergency call about Chen, officers were already in the midst of carrying an injured hiker out of the Centennial Trail in Shelburne, ha detto l'agenzia.
            Sometimes having enough gear is not enough,” NHFG advised. “In weather conditions experienced this weekend, it is better to descend and get out of the wind and cold instead of pushing on until it is too late.

            I commenti sono chiusi.