The cost of this year’s federal elections will hit close to $ 14 十億, shattering records and doubling the amount of money spent to influence presidential and congressional contests four years ago, according to an estimate released Wednesday.
- Democrats are awash in campaign cash. Excluding the spending by two self-funding billionaire candidates — Bloomberg and California hedge-fund founder Tom Steyer — Democratic candidates and groups spent $ 5.5 billion in this cycle; 共和党員, $ 3.8 十億. That marks an unprecedented financial advantage for Democrats.
- Small-dollar donors account for 22% of the money raised this cycle, up from 15% in the last presidential election cycle.
- Las Vegas casino magnate Sheldon Adelson and his physician wife Miriam top the mega-donors’ list, contributing $ 183 million to candidates and groups. Most of their donations landed late, including a $ 75 million contribution to Preserve America, a super PAC launched in late August to help Trump confront the Democratic money onslaught.
- Senate races saw big sums. これまでのところ, the North Carolina Senate race between Republican Sen. Thom Tillis and Democratic challenger Cal Cunningham is the most expensive congressional contest ever — with about $ 265 million in spending by candidates and outside organizations. The Iowa contest, pitting GOP Sen. Joni Ernst against Democrat Theresa Greenfield, holds the No. 2 slot at $ 218 百万.
- Democratic Senate challengers in states such as North Carolina, Iowa and Arizona — all crucial to their party’s hopes of seizing the chamber from Republicans after next week’s election — saw the majority of money to their campaigns coming from outside their states. 加えて, in the closely watched race in South Carolina, out-of-state money accounted for 93% of Harrison’s money and about 87% of the campaign funds collected by Graham.
- Women donors have stepped up their giving, accounting for 44% of contributions, a new high. And women donors have donated $ 1.3 billion to Democrats, compared to roughly $ 570 million to Republicans.