Six Senate Republicans broke from party leadership to vote in favor of the commission.
Supporters of the gennaio 6 commission
— including the mother of a Capitol Police officer who died the day after the riot
— pleaded with GOP senators throughout the week in order to convince at least
10 Republicans to back the plan
, but they were unsuccessful
Republicans in the chamber faced pressure to vote down the bill from Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who objected to the proposed legislation, arguing that such a commission could prove politically problematic for the GOP ahead of the 2022 midterms.
These are the six senators who voted to advance the bill:
- Suo. Bill Cassidy della Louisiana
- Suo. Susan Collins of Maine
- Suo. Lisa Murkowski dell'Alaska
- Suo. Rob Portman dell'Ohio
- Suo. Mitt Romney dello Utah
- Suo. Ben Sasse of Nebraska