Also on this day:
- 1776: The Continental Congress forms a committee to draft a Declaration of Independence calling for freedom from Britain.
- 1962: Three prisoners at Alcatraz in San Francisco Bay stage an escape, leaving the island on a makeshift raft; they would never be found or heard from again.
- 1982: “ET the Extra-Terrestrial” is released. It would become one of the most beloved films of all time.
- 1985: Karen Ann Quinlan, the comatose patient whose case prompted a historic right-to-die court decision, dies in Morris Plains, N.J., a la edad 31.
- 1986: The John Hughes comedy “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” starring Matthew Broderick, was released by Paramount Pictures.