WHO team blocked from entering China to study origins of coronavirus

The World Health Organization said that China has blocked the arrival of a team investigating the origins of the coronavirus pandemic, in a rare rebuke from the UN agency.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said two scientists on the United Nations team had already left their home countries for Wuhan when they were told that Chinese officials had not approved the necessary permissions to enter the country.
The arrangements had been jointly agreed with China in advance.
I am very disappointed with this news,” Tedros told a news conference in Geneva on Tuesday. “I have been in contact with senior Chinese officials and I have once again made clear that the mission is a priority for WHO and the international team.
    Tedros said WHO waseager to get the mission underway as soon as possibleand that he had been given assurances that Beijing was speeding up the internal procedure forthe earliest possible deployment.
    Dott. Michael Ryan, executive director of WHO’s health emergencies program said there was an issue with visas and one team member had already returned home. The other was waiting in transit in a third country.
    WHO officials have long been negotiating with Beijing to allow a team of global scientists access to key sites to investigate the origin of the virusfirst detected in Wuhan in December 2019 — and its likely jump from an unidentified host species to humans.
    A maggio, CHI agreed to hold an inquiry into the global response to the pandemic after more than 100 countries signed a resolution calling for an independent probe.
    Ryan said the team hoped it wasjust a logistical and bureaucratic issuethat can be resolved ingood faith in the coming hours and recommence the deployment of the team as soon as possible.
    The United States and Australia have led the charge in criticizing China’s handling of the initial stages of the pandemic, accusing Beijing of downplaying its severity and preventing an effective response until too late.
    US President Donald Trump has repeatedly blamed China for the global pandemic and annunciato that the US would terminate its relationship with WHO, saying that China had not properly reported information it had about the coronavirus and had pressured WHO tomislead the world.
    The US has demanded transparency in WHO operations in China. A novembre, Garrett Grigsby with the US Department of Health and Human Services told WHO’s assembly that the terms of the investigation to China werenot negotiated in a transparent way” e “the investigation itself appears to be inconsistentwith its mandate.
    A trove of confidential documents obtained by CNN last year from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention in Hubei provincewhere the virus was first detected in 2019 — showed how Chinese officials gave the world more optimistic data than they had access to internally, by initially underreporting case numbers during the early stages of the outbreak.
    The Chinese government has repeatedly rejected accusations made by the US and other Western governments that it deliberately concealed information relating to the virus, maintaining that it has been upfront since the beginning of the outbreak.
    Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said on Monday that the country would welcome the WHO team, secondo to Reuters.
    As countries around the world struggle with new infection surges and outbreaks, China appears to be rebounding. Lo scorso mese, the country posted positive economic growth for the second quarter in a row.
    Foreign Minister Wang Yi praised China’s anti-pandemic efforts at home and abroad, saying that the countrylaunched an emergency global humanitarian campaign” e “helped build consensus on a global response to Covid-19.
    As the WHO team prepared to embark, Chinese officials and state media have questioned the virus’ origini, detto “more and more research suggests that the pandemic was likely to have been caused by separate outbreaks in multiple places in the world,” according to Wang.
    Di lunedi, reports circulated on Chinese social media that the virus had been detected on auto part packaging in multiple cities, including from foreign brands.
      Per mesi, China has been testing and disinfecting frozen products imported from overseas, over fears the virus could reenter the country that way, even as experts remain skeptical about this as a potential source of infection.
      WHO says it ishighly unlikely that people can contract Covid-19 from food or food packaging,” and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Centro per la prevenzione e il controllo delle malattie) says the risk isthought to be very low.Both insist there is no evidence of such transmission, and countries have even threatened to bring a case against China at the World Trade Organization over import restrictions.

      I commenti sono chiusi.